The ocBackup Manager is designed for securely backing up large amounts of data even through the internet. However, sometimes there are benefits to manually "seed loading" the first set of data. This reduces the amount of data that would typically be transmitted through the internet which depending on the amount of data and your uplink connection speed can be a very long time. Also, this process will many times result if full protection much sooner as the time to physically mail or hand deliver data can be faster than waiting for uploads to take place.
Software: Backup Manager
Version: 5.X.X.X & up
Backup Set Type: ALL
Currently there is no charge for this service.
- Install the ocBackup Manager software and setup your backupsets just like normal. Be sure to save your settings so our servers are aware of your account and the backupsets you have created. Be sure to notify us of your intent to take part in this seed load program so we can be ready for your seed load and can assist in the process.
- Temporarily disable your backupsets that you are planning to seed load. Under settings, for each backupset remove the check mark next to "Run scheduled backup on this computer"
- Click OK and save settings again.
- After all backupsets are created and you are ready to begin the first seed load, Click "Backup" from inside the main dashboad of the ocBackup Manager.
- Select the correct backupset, then click on "Options"
- Change the "Backup to" option to "Local Hard Disk (Seed Load Utility)" then browse to the portable drive to be used for the seed load.
Note: You can choose the same folder path for each backupset you perform a seed load on because the softwar will keep all accounts and backupsets separate within the top folder.
- Click OK to begin the process. Note that the speed will be limited by several factors including processing power, number of files, size of files, available memory, speed of destination drive, and numerous other factors. Usually a speed between 25 and 60Mbps is expected, although your speed could vary.
- After the process finishes you should get a result of "Successful". If not, review the logs to determine if any of the errors are critical.
- Repeat steps 4 though 8 until the seedload has been finished for all backupsets.
- Mail or deliver the seed load drive to us according to the instructions given by your account representative.
Once we receive your seed load, we will perform a security check on the device to be sure it is free of viruses and malware which may have been introduced to the seed load equipment. Next we will manually attached the device to our data center backup server infrastrucure and manually transfer your data into your backup account.
Note: Any data previously uploaded for any backupset being seed loaded, will be replaced with the contents of the seed load.
Finally, we will re-enable your each backupset that was being seed loaded and notify you if applicable.